I start thinking about Autumn weather as soon as it's over. There is just something about the crisp, cool air, the apples and pumpkins to be picked, the hay bales and crunchy leaves beneath my feet. Nothing compares. And when it comes to fashion, Autumn is one of the best times of the year to start fresh and really reevaluate your closet. Turning over a new leaf, if you will. ;)
There are classics you want when you transition to your fall wardrobe and some new pieces you want to integrate into your fresh new look that will carry you well into the colder months and will last for years to come. Read on for my closet must-haves this fall:
1. Camel trench/camel coat: This is the perfect staple for the Autumn season (this one is pretty gorgeous too--both from Old Navy--swoon!). You can dress it down or dress it up, wear it from early Fall through the winter time. Camel is that perfect shade that looks good on everyone. It's the new black, if you ask me. It's neutral enough yet isn't boring at all and can be paired with just about anything. You will wear this every year because it will never go out of style and will always make you look polished and put together, even when you roll out of bed and want to cover up for your trip to Walgreens for some Ben & Jerry's. I got you, girl.
2. Vests: Now when you think of vests, what comes to mind? Your grandfather, perhaps? Smoking a pipe in the corner of the parlor, calling you over and taking out a Werthers from his pocket of the vest and handing it over as if it were the key to a national treasure? Well forget that! Vests (like that one) are not for your papaw anymore! This faux fur vest (Forever 21) is going to be a go-to this Autumn, just you watch. Chunky, but you can still layer it with short sleeves, long sleeves, a cool denim shirt...pretty much anything your pretty little heart desires. When I first laid my eyes on this vest, I had instant heart-eyes emoji all over the place. I couldn't control my excitement. And neither will you. This isn't grandpa's ordinary vest.
3. Denim: There used to be so many rules with denim, and frankly it can be one of the harder pieces to work with in any closet, mainly because how difficult the fit can be and because of all the preconceived notions we have of it: you can't wear it to work (depending on your job), you can't wear different washes together, you can't...blah, blah, blah. There are no rules in fashion. There are enough rules in life...I am not about to apply them to the one place we are free to be and do as we please. Wear your denim, wear it with other denim, wear it as a dress...just wear it! It will be your best friend--trust me.
4. Cable knit sweaters: Um, do I need to say more? But really, cable knit is a classic (or really any tightly knitted, chunky sweater). It just screams cozy. And what more perfect item do you want on a crisp, fall morning or cool, brisk evening by the fire than a cable knit sweater to cuddle you up?
5. Booties: Suede, leather, pleather...whatever material, this is going to be your shoe (like this one from Sole Society) this fall. It is so versatile! Gorgeous, comfortable and chic, it will go with nearly every outfit this Autumn. You can wear them with dresses, leggings, jeans; running to the grocery store, meeting girlfriends for lunch, or date night with bae. They are perfect for anything from apple picking to pumpkin carving and everything in between.
6. Stripes: This is something that you may already have in your closet or tucked away in your drawer somewhere. Normally, you see girls wearing plaid everything during the fall months, but what is really going to be making waves this Autumn are stripes. Big stripes, skinny stripes, and every stripe you can find, will be something you need to incorporate into your Autumn wardrobe. If you want to conceal a little tummy after eating one too many crunch wrap supremes, pull out a striped top, pair it with your cute new vest, and dust off those holey, distressed jeans, put on your booties, and bam! Chic Autumn goddess.
Fashion is one of the easiest ways to be truly unique and creative. Use these Autumn staples to your advantage--you probably already have some, if not all, of them in your closet right now! And if you don't, check out stores like Forever 21, Old Navy, and Marshalls and TJ Maxx for some great pieces if you don't want to break the bank but want to try a little experimenting.